Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fighting off a cold, and cooking for the chilly weather!



  For a few days my allergy induced asthma has been getting worse with the change in the weather, and I seem to have picked up a cold bug... So I have started my usual routine of how I raise my immune system and fight off getting sick!

   I started off the day with Coffee (caffeine = bronchial dilator) and a breathing treatment... had to I spent most of the night congested and adjusting my pillows to elevate so I could breathe! Then a package of  Emergen-C
  
  Homemade remedies that work for me: Garlic is a popular folk remedy for respiratory and vascular ailments, and had been widely studied... I chop up garlic cloves, and eat them...I mince the garlic cloves, put them in a spoon with honey and swallow without chewing with a drink of water (easier for people who don't want garlic breath). If you like garlic then just add to your food or make a spread by roasting with olive oil... I also add Cumin to foods or just take Turmeric capsules a natural anti-inflammatory. Both great spices that are good for you!
   
Dinner tonight: Meaty Mexican Potato Soup 
 Bring 6 cups of water to boil with salt and 2 peeled garlic cloves
 In skillet cook 1lb of ground beef/ drain and rinse when done
 Peel 6-8 potatoes and cube chop add to boiling water cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft
 Add 1 cup of milk  to potatoes (can add cornstarch for thickening if needed)
 Add rinsed ground beef to potato mixture
 Add 1 can of green chilies, 1/3 cup of salsa (I make my own), 3 oz of cubed Velveeta cheese
 Continue cooking until cheese is melted.
 Serve with shredded cheese, chopped jalapeno and fried onions on top
   (Another variation I make of this is Meaty Baked Potato Soup, instead of Green chilies, salsa and Velveeta, I add 6oz of cooked bacon, 3tbs of sour cream, and chives to potato and meat mixture, and serve with shredded cheese, bacon bits and sour cream on top)

Easy Salsa:
  Bring to boil
6 Jalapenos, stem and seeds removed
1-3 Habeneros (if you like more kick)
1/3 onion
  In blender or food processor blend together:
1-large can of canned peeled tomatoes
1-can of Hot Rotel tomatoes
2-tsp of sugar (takes away bitterness of canned tomatoes)
1-tsp garlic salt
fresh cilantro to taste
1/2 lemon-juiced
  When jalapenos/onions are boiled to soft, drain and add to blender
Blend together all ingredients: Makes about 3 jars of salsa


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment